The Sunway Medical Centre Independent Research Ethics Committee (SREC) is a committee established under the authority of Sunway Medical Centre Berhad (SunMed). It evaluates the ethical aspects of research in SunMed, ensuring that they are reliably conducted in accordance with both international and Malaysian standards of ‘Good Clinical Practice’ (GCP).
SREC holds as its primary responsibility the safe-guarding of the rights, safety, and well-being of all research subjects. As per GCP requirements, members of the SREC are drawn from medical and non-medical sectors to ensure sufficient objectivity and independence from SunMed clinicians undertaking the research. The Clinical Research Centre (CRC) is the Secretariat to SREC.
- To protect the rights, safety, dignity and well being of the subjects of research
- To promote ethical principles in human research
- To provide special attention to research involving vulnerable subjects and use of genetic testing
- To facilitate ethical research through efficient and effective review processes
- To provide competent review and monitoring of human research projects whilst they are active
- To promote awareness of the ethical conduct of human research
The Scope of the SREC’s operation manual is applicable to all members of SREC and persons conducting research in SunMed. The scope also encompasses the following:
terms of reference of the SREC which includes:
- membership requirements,
- terms of appointment,
- liability coverage,
- conditions of appointment,
- offices, quorum & meeting requirements,
- use of independent panel and
- education of members.
procedure for submitting an application to the SREC for:
- approval to conduct research projects or to make amendments to a previously SREC-approved research,
- document review by SREC,
- following up and monitoring of approved research by SREC,
- study archiving by SREC
For more information, please contact SunMed Clinical Research Centre/SREC Secretariat at: